닭볶음탕 (Spicy Chicken Stew)
Developed by: Annie Namba
- 300g chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 청양고추, sliced diagonally
- 2 5-inch stalks 대파, sliced vertically then horizontally
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon 고추장
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon 고춧가루
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons 미림
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Mix up the sauce mixture, then add chicken and marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a deep pan with oil and brown the chicken and 청양고추 for about 3 minutes.
- Add water, potatoes, carrots, onions, leeks and any of the remaining sauce in the bowl.
- Mix well and cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes. Several times while cooking, mix well to ensure that the sauce is evenly distributed.
Notes & Tips
If the dish turns out too spicy (or you generally prefer less spicy food), you can omit 청양고추. 고춧가루 and 고추장 also come in many varieties, some spicier than others, so shop carefully.
Typically, in Korean homes, many parts of the chicken are used. Since we get our chicken from Costco, I find it easier (and tastier) to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.