김치참치덮밥 (Kimchi and Tuna over Rice)
This is a simple one-bowl lunch, and can be prepared quickly, especially if you already have cooked rice on hand. All you need is kimchi and a can of tuna.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 200g kimchi, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 150g can tuna (참치), in oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (참기름)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes (고춧가루)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic (마늘), grated
- 1 teaspoon sugar (설탕)
- 1 cup water
Optional, but recommended
- Green onion (파), sliced
- 2 eggs
- Toasted sesame seeds (깨소금)
- If you don't already have cooked rice available, start making some.
- In a medium wok, heat vegetable oil. Stir-fry kimchi until it is almost clear, 4-5 minutes.
- Add sauce mixture and reduce heat to simmer. Stir in entire can of tuna, including the oil.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is reduced by 2/3. Add green onion and sesame seed oil and remove from heat.
- In a separate frying pan, cook eggs (I recommend sunny-side-up).
- Layer cooked rice, tuna and kimchi mixture and top with an egg on each plate. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Notes & Tips
If you have tomato paste on hand, try replacing half of the ketchup in the sauce mixture for a richer flavor.