김치 순두부찌개 (Soft Tofu Stew with Kimchi)
Developed by: Annie Namba
- 1 tube 순두부
- 80g kimchi, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 7-inch 대파, sliced
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 7 멸치
- 1 piece 다시마
- 2 teaspoons 고춧가루
- 2 teaspoons 새우젓 or 멸치액젓
- 1 teaspoon 국간장
- 1 teaspoon 참기름
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 50g spam, cubed
- 1 spicy green pepper, finely chopped
- Boil anchovy soup stock for about 10 minutes. Final product should be about 1 cup.
- In a stew pot, cut the tofu in half and pour in the anchovy soup stock. Add kimchi and spam, then bring to boil over high heat.
- Once it boils, turn down to medium heat and put in the sauce. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add leek and spicy pepper and boil for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and crack the egg into the middle of the stew while it is still boiling.
Notes & Tips
- If you are short on time, you can skip the first step (soup stock) and just add a bit more fish sauce. You'll miss out on some of the deeper flavor imparted by the anchovy and kelp.
- You can use a regular pot, or invest in a 뚝배기 (a traditional Korean stew pot, the same one used for cooking and serving in restaurants) for a more authentic experience!
- Don't try to mix the soup as it is boiling, as that will break up the soft tofu. Wait until just before eating to mix it.
- You can control the spiciness of this dish by adjusting the amount of 고춧가루 in the sauce mixture, or the amount of kimchi, or by omitting the chopped spicy green pepper at the end. (You can make white 순두부찌개 by omitting all the spicy ingredients.)