부대찌개 (Army Stew/G.I. Stew)
- 3 cups of water
- 10-12 멸치 (dried anchovies)
- 1 2x2" piece of 다시마 (dried sea kelp)
- 70g 찌개용 돼지고기 (pork shoulder/butt), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon 소주 (soju)
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- pinch of salt and ground pepper to taste
- 150g 김치 (kimchi), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 50g spam, cut into 2 inch square pieces
- 2 hot dogs, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium potato, diced
- 1/2 block 두부 (tofu), diced (about 100g)
- 1 stalk 대파 (leek), thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons 고춧가루 (chili pepper powder)
- 1 teaspoon 고추장 (chili pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon 국간장 (seasoned soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon 간장 (soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Noodles & Topping
- 35g penne pasta
- 1 package 라면 (instant ramen)
- 1 slice American cheese
- In a small sauce pot, combine all the soup stock ingredients and bring to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, then discard anchovies and kelp. Set aside soup stock for now.
- In a small bowl, marinate pork in 소주 (soju), powdered ginger, salt and pepper.
- In a large wok, arrange marinated pork and main ingredients. Pour in soup stock and sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer until 김치 (kimchi) becomes transparent, about 15 minutes.
- Add penne and cook about 10 minutes with lid closed. Break the ramen noodle into the soup and boil for 3 minutes with the lid open. Remove from heat and place cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Notes & Tips
Anything goes with this stew. As long as you have the basics (김치/kimchi, 멸치/anchovy soup stock, 라면/ramen), you can get creative with your ingredients. Some other popular additions: pork & beans, 떡 (Korean rice cake), cheese and all kinds of processed ham products. All ingredients for this dish were obtained from www.emartmall.co.kr.